Student participation and involvement in athletics teaches cooperation, responsibility, team-work, and how to win and lose. Students who are involved tend to perform better in school and have fewer problems socially. All students who participate in sports must meet the criteria outlined in the Code of Ethics to participate.
ATHLETIC CODE OF ETHICS AND BEHAVIOR
Participation as a member of a team is a privilege. Those on teams serve as a model for all the children at school. To ensure that student athletes maintain themselves as examples to other students, we are setting the following standards which must be met if a student is to play:
1. Team members do not get in fights. (At least one game suspension for violation, possible removal from team.)
2. Team members must have a "C" average with no "F"s on their report card. (Removed from team.)
3. Team members must display good sportsmanship, citizenship, and maturity at all times. (One game suspension for violation.)
4. All uniforms and equipment must be returned in the same condition as they were received. (Charged for damage or loss.)
5. Team members attend practice. (Missed practice may result in one game suspension.)
Every effort will be made to place all students on a team. Unfortunately participation limits must be set because of limited facilities and safety factors. The following process will be used to make team selections:
1. Sign-ups will be announced at least 2 school days prior to the first practice.
2. Players will have at least 2 days of practice before the first selection date.
3. Practice times are 3:20 P.M. - 4:20 P.M.
4. Those students who are selected for the team will have their names posted for all to see.
5. Students shall practice in at least half of available practices in each week in order to be eligible for that week's competition.
6. Coaches may elect to have a second selection date to further reduce team size.
*Players registering after the beginning of the season may try out for a team - but no player may be eliminated due to their selection.
Coaches' decisions on player selections are final.
All questions regarding player selection are to be referred to the head coach of the team.
All participants are required to have verification of health insurance coverage prior to any participation in any sport. It is highly recommended that parents purchase the insurance policy offered through the school. To obtain this information, please visit this page and then click on the link "Does Your Family Have Coverage."
Concussions and Youth Sports
Parents of students who participate in youth sports (inclusive of cheerleading) need to be informed about the latest information from the medical community. The Centers for Disease Control is a great resource and has produced a concise information sheet available here. For additional information, please contact the school nurse or consult the CDC website.
Picking Up Your Student-Athlete from Away Games
If you would like to pick up your student at “away” games instead of returning to Dry Creek via the school bus, you will be asked to complete an authorization form & sign your child out with the coach. For the safety of all of our students, we ask that these forms be completed when parents OR another adult pick up a student from a game. Your child can be picked up only by those adults listed on the authorization & that authorization must match the Student Release Authorization on file in the office. You may download a copy of the form here.
All players are responsible for all equipment issued to them. Uniforms are to be worn on game days only. Players will be charged for the loss or destruction of equipment or uniforms.
Transportation to Games and after Practice
Clovis Unified buses transport students to all games. Parental permission for participation on a team allows for permission to transport students to all team functions during the season. Transportation will be provided for bus riders after practice. Parents who wish to pick their children up at away games must sign their child out with the coach prior to leaving. Students will not released to anyone without a note or prior parent contact with the coach.
PE Excuses and Team Participation
A child will not be allowed to participate in any after-school sports programs or intramurals if they are not participating in PE due to a PE excuse. No exceptions.
"A" teams are competitive teams. Students who desire guaranteed playing time should elect to play on "B" and "C" teams. "B" and "C" teams are designed to teach students basic sports skills. Students on these teams are guaranteed playing time in every game.