History of Dry Creek
The present Dry Creek School was formed with the union of the Nees Colony, Garfield, and Dry Creek Schools. The original Dry Creek School was founded at Academy in 1866, which is about 10 miles east of Clovis on Highway 168. The Garfield School was formed in 1833 and you will find the entryway to the old brick schoolhouse still standing on the northwest corner of Minnewawa and Shepherd Avenues. Nees Colony, founded in 1906, was located on the southwest corner of the present day Dry Creek School. The bell located near our flagpole was in the front yard of the Nees Colony School. The name Dry Creek was apparently derived when a majority of Dry Creek parents attended the board meeting called for the purpose of naming the newly formed school. Only one Nees Colony board member was in attendance and thus the name of Dry Creek was voted in unanimously.
Dry Creek became part of the Clovis Unified School District in 1960. In 1973, the original Dry Creek School building was moved back to the town of Academy. For most of its long history, Dry Creek was located in a distinctly rural setting. Within the last few years, however, this rural environment has given way to tremendous growth, with several new subdivisions rising within the Dry Creek attendance area. Although rural pockets remain here and there, the areas closest to our campus have been transformed into a suburban landscape. Beginning with the 2007-08 school year, the portion of the Dry Creek attendance area located east of Locan Avenue was transferred to the newly constructed Bud Rank Elementary School.